Troubleshooting Guide: Forgot Mac Password and Locked Out
Have you forgotten your password and find yourself locked out of your Mac? Don't worry; you can try troubleshooting and regain access to your Mac with the help of this comprehensive guide. Our experts have compiled a set of solutions to help you recover your password and unlock your Mac. Follow these troubleshooting steps, and if you need further assistance, feel free to contact us using the information provided below.
Table of Contents
- Reset Password with Apple ID
- Use Recovery Mode to Reset Password
- Contact Apple Support
Reset Password with Apple ID
If you've associated your Apple ID with your user account on your Mac, you can use it to reset your password. Follow these steps to reset your password with your Apple ID:
- On the login screen, click on the question mark icon or the "Forgot password?" link.
- Enter your Apple ID email address and click on “Continue.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to verify your identity using your Apple ID.
- Once verified, you'll be able to create a new password for your user account.
- After resetting the password, log in to your Mac using the new password.
If you don't remember your Apple ID or haven't associated it with your user account, proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
Use Recovery Mode to Reset Password
If you can't reset your password with your Apple ID, you can use the Recovery Mode on your Mac to reset the password. Follow these steps to use Recovery Mode:
- Restart your Mac.
- While your Mac is restarting, immediately press and hold the Command (⌘)-R keys until the Apple logo or a spinning globe appears.
- Release the keys when you see the macOS Utilities window.
- Select "Utilities" from the menu bar and choose “Terminal.”
- In the Terminal window, type the following command and press Enter: `resetpassword`
- The Reset Password utility will open. Select your startup disk and the user account for which you want to reset the password.
- Enter a new password and confirm it. You can also add a password hint to help you remember it in the future.
- Click on "Save" to set the new password.
- Once the password has been reset, click on the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen and select “Restart.”
- Log in to your Mac using the new password.
If you're still unable to reset your password using Recovery Mode, it's recommended to contact Apple Support for further assistance.
Contact Apple Support
If you've exhausted all the troubleshooting steps mentioned above and are still unable to regain access to your Mac, it is advisable to contact Apple Support. They have the expertise to help you in such situations and can provide personalized assistance to resolve your password-related issues.